Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Mocking framework

Re: Mocking framework
Sorry for the divergent messages - couldnt find a good way to combine them.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM, John W Vines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> 3. What I want to see us doing, at a very high level, is to have the
> ability to mock an entire TServer to the extent where we will use something
> to replace Zookeeper (We should probably turn our ZK work with an interface)
> with a MockZookeeper (not generated through a Mock util) which is nothing
> more than a Map. Same thing with the FileReader, except a SortedMap, the
> loggers, and the master. This way we could fully implement a whole TServer
> without worry about HDFS and Zookeeper.

To a similar extent I would like to see this done for all core components,
> but mocking the various connectors we use to get done what we need to. I see
> a few sets of Mock class we will have to create. But with less chance of
> divergence in behavior then we currently experience with our MockAccumulo
> setup.
> >
> This sounds like a good goal.  Seems like in addition to mocking, we
> would need to refactor code to support dependency injection.

With PowerMock we can avoid having to refactor everything since we can catch
object creation and return your own mock object. Dependency injection then
becomes a moot need unless we start using a configuration framework for
launching different elements.

--
Jesse Yates