HBase >> mail # user >> HBase type support

+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-13, 16:42
+
David Koch 2013-03-14, 16:51
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-15, 12:25
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-15, 17:06
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-15, 22:35
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-19, 20:34
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-15, 17:11
+
James Taylor 2013-03-15, 17:55
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-15, 17:57
+
lars hofhansl 2013-03-16, 05:45
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-16, 12:18
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-16, 12:26
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-03-16, 12:59
+
Michael Segel 2013-03-17, 16:13
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-03-17, 17:12
+
Amit Sela 2013-03-17, 17:32
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-18, 12:02
+
Doug Meil 2013-03-18, 19:16
+
Michael Segel 2013-03-19, 00:42
Re: HBase type support
I'm not a lawyer, but I think we're ok as long as it's in source code as
that is protected under freedom of speech in the US. See here (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptography ) under Export Control, the part
related to Bernstein v. United States . I don't know about binaries like
deb, but I can tell that we download binaries for browsers every day and
they use encryption in lots of places. I believe if there's any real issues
it would have surfaced up by now.

As far as types in HBase, I think it is an excellent idea. I would suggest
to enable us to add a custom type, just like we can add our custom filters.
Some types that I had to code myself include CSV. There can be other custom
types that I need in the future, may be json, so the ability to add a
custom type might be a good feature.

Thanks,
Mohamed

+