Hadoop >> mail # dev >> question about when do resource matching in YARN

+
wei yan @...) 2013-09-20, 14:17
+
Xuan Gong 2013-09-20, 15:56
Re: question about when do resource matching in YARN
Hi Wei,

Yes there is a clear lag between AM requesting resource and satisfying NM
heartbeats (thereby we process the event) are received. Developers in
project Tez ( http://incubator.apache.org/projects/tez.html ) have done
some similar stuff. You can check it there. I hope it helps.

Thanks,
Omkar Joshi
*Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Xuan Gong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey, Wei:
>       The nodeHeartBeat is used to let RM knows this NM is still alive. We
> only assign containers from alive NM. Another thing is when scheduler
> receives the nodeHeartBeat, the scheduler will get the container status
> (such as completed, new launched) from NM, and it can use it to update the
> resource.
>
>        You can take a look those source codes, it can help you understand
> better.
> 1. NodeStatusUpdaterImpl::startStatusUpdater(). it used to send out the
> nodeheartbeat
> 2. ResourceTrackerService::nodeHeartbeat(). This one is used to get
> heartbeat from NM, and send to RMNodeImpl
> 3. RMNodeImpl::StatusUpdateWhenHealthyTransition().  Get the heartBeat, and
> do locally update.
> 4. CapacityScheduler::nodeUpdate(). Processing the heartbeat info, and
> potentially assign containers.
>
> Thanks
>
> Xuan
>

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM, wei yan @ Gmail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > I have a simple question. Currently in YARN, the resource matching is
> > triggered by the node manager heartbeat. That is, assignContainers() is
> > only invoked when a new heartbeat comes in. Why we don't use resource
> > request triggered mechanism? That is, when AM submits allocateRequest, we
> > do the resource matching and assign containers.
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea about this?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Wei
>
> --