HBase >> mail # user >> When to expand vertically vs. horizontally in Hbase

Re: When to expand vertically vs. horizontally in Hbase
Mike, what do you mean by "you can have entities, except that they are not coupled"? You mean, they have no relationship to each other? Or the relationship is defined elsewhere (e.g. application code)? The concept of "coupling" seems a little overloaded and not as concise here as "relationship". Two tuples in a database can have a wide number of relationships to each other; the kinds of relationships that are actively supported differs between a traditional RDBMS and HBase, and proper HBase design requires understand these limitations precisely.

I'm not trying to be an ER<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93relationship_model> apologist, there are a lot of ways in which it sucks. :) But if we want to evolve, we can't just pretend there's no history here to build on.

Ian