Hadoop >> mail # general >> Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-09-06, 11:06
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-09-06, 19:08
+
Chris Douglas 2011-09-06, 20:23
+
Brian Bockelman 2011-09-07, 12:20
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-09-07, 09:04
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-09-07, 15:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-09-07, 16:15
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-09-07, 17:26
On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 02:04AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> Eric,
>
> It would take the same amount of resources to fix 0.22 as to merge
> append and security branches aka 0.20.205.
> Although I understand that Hortonworks needs to support its
> customer(s) and is eager to bridge the gap in functionality with its
> competitor(s), I think continuing with 0.20
> a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
> resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
> abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
> to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
> Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.
>
> I think 0.22 has all the functionality required to run Hadoop for most
> production tasks. I see enough momentum and involvement in the
> community with 0.22 testing. I think there will be enough resources to
> get it stabilized in near future.
>
> Nigel,
>
> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.

I think this is a grand idea! 0.22 is very close to the stable state. On the
other hand there's no indication of how soon the community can expect to get
0.23 out.

I will be happy to offer any help to complete 0.22, Konstantin!

Cos

> Thanks,
> --Konstantin
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > What do others think?
> >
> > IMO 22 is not the best place to invest resources. I support nigel's suggestion of abandoning it, but people are free to work on what they are passionate about.
> >
> > E14
> >
> > On Sep 3, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Nigel Daley wrote:
> >
> > > Matt, Others,
> > >
> > > Is the expectation that these fixes go into other release branches too (including 0.22, 0.23) if applicable?
> > >
> > > If not, my concern is that 0.22 is regressing further from the popular Apache release and I'm inclined to abandon 0.22. Thoughts?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Nige

+
Steve Loughran 2011-09-09, 10:40