Hadoop >> mail # general >> Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 02:04AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> Eric,
>
> It would take the same amount of resources to fix 0.22 as to merge
> append and security branches aka 0.20.205.
> Although I understand that Hortonworks needs to support its
> customer(s) and is eager to bridge the gap in functionality with its
> competitor(s), I think continuing with 0.20
> a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
> resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
> abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
> to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
> Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.
>
> I think 0.22 has all the functionality required to run Hadoop for most
> production tasks. I see enough momentum and involvement in the
> community with 0.22 testing. I think there will be enough resources to
> get it stabilized in near future.
>
> Nigel,
>
> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.

I think this is a grand idea! 0.22 is very close to the stable state. On the
other hand there's no indication of how soon the community can expect to get
0.23 out.

I will be happy to offer any help to complete 0.22, Konstantin!

Cos