Hadoop >> mail # general >> Java Versions and Hadoop

+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-10-07, 22:33
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-10-08, 09:00
Re: Java Versions and Hadoop
I hate to sound like the folks who only recently stopped using 1.4, but I am
afraid that Todd is right on here.

The folks who are desperate for new features are being siphoned off by Scala
and Clojure which is leaving a core of recalcitrant termagants like me.  I
think that it is going to take something as major as the EOL of Java 6 to
get big projects to allow code that requires Java 7.

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think requiring Java 7 is years off... I think most people have
> doubts as to Java 7's stability until it's been adopted by a majority
> of applications, and the new features aren't compelling enough to jump
> ship, IMO.
>
> -Todd
>
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > While I have seen the wiki on which java versions to use currently to run
> > Hadoop, I have not seen any discussion about the roadmap of java version
> > compatibility with future hadoop versions.
> >
> > Recently, Oracle retired the "Operating System Distributor License for
> > Java" (DLJ) [http://robilad.livejournal.com/90792.html,
> > http://jdk-distros.java.net/] and Linux vendors have started making
> > OpenJDK (6/7) as the default java version bundled with their OSs
> > [http://www.java7developer.com/blog/?p=361]. Also, all future Java SE
> > updates will be delivered through OpenJDK updates project.
> >
> > I see that OpenJDK6 (6b20pre) cannot be used to compile hadoop trunk. Has
> > anyone tried OpenJDK7 ?
> >
> > Additionally, I have a few small projects in mind which can really make
> > use of the new (esp I/O) features of Java 7.
> >
> > What, if any, timeline do hadoop developers have in mind to make Java 7
> as
> > required (and tested with OpenJDK 7) ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > - milind
> >
> > ---
> > Milind Bhandarkar
> > Greenplum Labs, EMC
> > (Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
> and
> > do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
> > present, the author might be affiliated with.)
> >

> --
> Todd Lipcon
> Software Engineer, Cloudera

+