Avro >> mail # dev >> schema repositories?

Re: schema repositories?
Cool, I will write up a more detailed proposal and include it in a JIRA.

WRT the "source" yes, we originally started versioning things by the record
name, and we generally still use the convention that record name matches
the topic/table name. However two things lead us to generalize this. First
is the issue Scott points out there are schemas that may be shared across
many tables/topics, but may evolve at slightly different rates. Secondly a
generic utility that needs to handle many such sources must know the source
name (or else how could it get data) but may not know the type of records
in the source. At that point we realized "source" is just a generic key for
a sequence of schemas which may or may not have
some computability guarantees between them. The key can be the record name
or any other string so long as it is consistent. I will try to flesh out
some of these details as well as some details around id generation, in the
proposal.

-Jay