From: Alan Gates [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Pig bylaws
On Sep 28, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Olga Natkovich wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Thanks for the proposal. Looks good! I have a couple of comments/
> questions:
>
> (1) I think all votes need to have a time boundary. For releases and
> committers, we used to use 3 business days. I am fine if we choose
> different/longer times and different time periods for different types
> of votes but I think we should state what they are in the document.

Seems fine.  For votes that require everyone to vote is two weeks long enough?  It seems like all lazy votes can be 3 days.

> (2) Seems like consensus and even 2/3 votes is very hard to achieve.
> I wonder if simple majority would do just as well for all the cases we
> have.

Consensus votes are only prescribed for removing PMC members or committers.  Unanimity (minus the one being removed obviously) seems good in this case.  It prevents power blocks from developing and ensures that this only happens when it is obvious to everyone that it needs to happen.

2/3s votes are only required for new code bases (basically new
subprojects) and modifications of the bylaws.  I'm ok with dropping this to simple majority if others agree.

Alan.