HBase >> mail # user >> Created date field

Created date field
Does anyone know of any strategies for tracking the created date of a row or column, without a checkAndPut() type of solution? I am trying to avoid reading from the table to see if the value already exists before putting. One thought I had was to store a timestamp of every update as a column, but that might bloat my rows.