MapReduce >> mail # user >> dfs.namenode.edits.dir and dfs.namenode.shared.edits.dir

dfs.namenode.edits.dir and dfs.namenode.shared.edits.dir
I am running CDH4.2.

I've noticed that my NameNodes are logging edits both locally and to the
journalnodes.  I took a look at the code, and this doesn't seem to be
required -- and also, it's the whole point of QJM right?

However, due to the following, we are logging both locally and to the
quorum:

<property>
  <name>dfs.namenode.edits.dir</name>
  <value>${dfs.namenode.name.dir}</value>
  <source>hdfs-default.xml</source>
</property>

Two questions:

1) Is this intended, or should I file a JIRA?
2) Is it indeed safe/recommended to set dfs.namenode.edits.dir to empty, so
that we only write to the quorum?