Hive, mail # user - Alter table is giving error

+
Chunky Gupta 2012-11-05, 11:34
+
Dean Wampler 2012-11-05, 12:58
+
Chunky Gupta 2012-11-05, 14:19
Re: Alter table is giving error
Dean Wampler 2012-11-05, 14:33
Writing a script to add the external partitions individually is the only way I know of.

Sent from my rotary phone.
On Nov 5, 2012, at 8:19 AM, Chunky Gupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Dean,
>
> Actually I was having Hadoop and Hive cluster on EMR and I have S3 storage containing logs which updates daily and having partition with date(dt). And I was using this recover partition.
> Now I wanted to shift to EC2 and have my own Hadoop and Hive cluster. So, what is the alternate of using recover partition in this case, if you have any idea ?
> I found one way of individually partitioning all dates, so I have to write script for that to do so for all dates. Is there any easiest way other than this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Chunky
>

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Dean Wampler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The RECOVER PARTITIONS is an enhancement added by Amazon to their version of Hive.
>>
>> http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/ElasticMapReduce/latest/DeveloperGuide/emr-hive-additional-features.html
>>
>> <shameless-plus>
>>   Chapter 21 of Programming Hive discusses this feature and other aspects of using Hive in EMR.
>> </shameless-plug>
>>
>> dean
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Chunky Gupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am having a cluster setup on EC2 with Hadoop version 0.20.2 and Hive version 0.8.1 (I configured everything) . I have created a table using :-
>>>
>>> CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE XXX ( YYY )PARTITIONED BY ( ZZZ )ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY 'WWW' LOCATION 's3://my-location/data/';
>>>
>>> Now I am trying to recover partition using :-
>>>
>>> ALTER TABLE XXX RECOVER PARTITIONS;
>>>
>>> but I am getting this error :- "FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:12 cannot recognize input near 'XXX' 'RECOVER' 'PARTITIONS' in alter table statement"
>>>
>>> Doing same steps on a cluster setup on EMR with Hadoop version 1.0.3 and Hive version 0.8.1 (Configured by EMR), works fine.
>>>
>>> So is this a version issue or am I missing some configuration changes in EC2 setup ?
>>> I am not able to find exact solution for this problem on internet. Please help me.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chunky.
>>

>> --
>> Dean Wampler, Ph.D.