Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset

Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
I tend to second most of Ian's points here.

#1: we are creating a precedent of a "brain-dump" here. Although, it
isn't the first one in the history of OSS. Infamous Apple "patch" to
OpenBSD is another one ;)

#2: How to spell 'back door' any one?

#5: "almost 10 internal releases" Arun has mentioned above might be,
perhaps, considered as a great quality control effort. Also, not to
mention virtual impossibility to create a test plan to validate a
giant features patch.

> BTW, I'd like to point out a discrepancy here:
>
> On another thread discussing hadoop-0.20-append as a separate branch, most people agreed that new features shouldn't be added to 0.20, now we have a major feature and we are all gung ho for it..

And this ^^^

But, hey I guess it's totally worth it!
  Cos