Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Towards Hadoop 1.0:  Stronger API Compatibility from 0.21 onwards

Re: Towards Hadoop 1.0: Stronger API Compatibility from 0.21 onwards
HBase and similar HDFS clients could benefit from a (high) performant
stable datacenter network protocol that is built into the namenode and
datanodes. Then we could decouple from Hadoop versioning and release
cycle. HDFS could decouple from core, etc.

Whatever stable network protocol is devised, if any, of course should
perform as well if not better than the current one. A stable but lower
performing option, unfortunately, would be excluded from consideration
right away.

HBase is a bit of a special case currently perhaps in that its access
pattern is random read/write and it may be only a handful of clients
like that. However if HDFS is positioned as a product in its own right,
which I believe is the case since the split, there may be many other
potential users of it -- for all of its benefits -- given a stable
wire format that enables decoupled development.

API compatibility  +1
Data compatibility +1
Wire compatibility +1

Best regards,

Andrew Purtell
Committing Member, HBase Project: hbase.org