Hadoop >> mail # user >> Re: Number of Maps running more than expected

Re: Number of Maps running more than expected
Well, there is speculative executions too.

http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module4.html

*Speculative execution:* One problem with the Hadoop system is that by
> dividing the tasks across many nodes, it is possible for a few slow nodes
> to rate-limit the rest of the program. For example if one node has a slow
> disk controller, then it may be reading its input at only 10% the speed of
> all the other nodes. So when 99 map tasks are already complete, the system
> is still waiting for the final map task to check in, which takes much
> longer than all the other nodes.
> By forcing tasks to run in isolation from one another, individual tasks do
> not know *where* their inputs come from. Tasks trust the Hadoop platform
> to just deliver the appropriate input. Therefore, the same input can be
> processed *multiple times in parallel*, to exploit differences in machine
> capabilities. As most of the tasks in a job are coming to a close, the
> Hadoop platform will schedule redundant copies of the remaining tasks
> across several nodes which do not have other work to perform. This process
> is known as *speculative execution*. When tasks complete, they announce
> this fact to the JobTracker. Whichever copy of a task finishes first
> becomes the definitive copy. If other copies were executing speculatively,
> Hadoop tells the TaskTrackers to abandon the tasks and discard their
> outputs. The Reducers then receive their inputs from whichever Mapper
> completed successfully, first.
> Speculative execution is enabled by default. You can disable speculative
> execution for the mappers and reducers by setting the
> mapred.map.tasks.speculative.execution and
> mapred.reduce.tasks.speculative.execution JobConf options to false,
> respectively.

Can you tell us your configuration with regards to those parameters?

Regards

Bertrand