Pig >> mail # user >> NullPointerException calling illustrate

NullPointerException calling illustrate
Hello all,
I'm encountering an error when I call illustrate - it blows up with a null
pointer and the following exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
org.apache.pig.pen.util.DisplayExamples.ShortenField(DisplayExamples.java:205)
    at
org.apache.pig.pen.util.DisplayExamples.MakeArray(DisplayExamples.java:190)
    at
org.apache.pig.pen.util.DisplayExamples.PrintTabular(DisplayExamples.java:86)
    at
org.apache.pig.pen.util.DisplayExamples.PrintTabular(DisplayExamples.java:69)
    at
org.apache.pig.pen.ExampleGenerator.getExamples(ExampleGenerator.java:144)
    at org.apache.pig.PigServer.getExamples(PigServer.java:678)
    at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.processIllustrate(GruntParser.java:369)
    at
org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.PigScriptParser.parse(PigScriptParser.java:198)
    at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.parseStopOnError(GruntParser.java:99)
    at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt.run(Grunt.java:69)

This happens with even a 2 step load then illustrate sequence like this:

grunt> data = load '/Users/jkk/projects/weblogdumps/weblogs_2005_11' using
PigStorage('\t') AS (session_id, user_id, page_name, date, params,
total_time, render_time, db_time, ip, cookies, user_agent, referrer, ajax,
http_verb);
grunt> illustrate data;
This trace is from an older pig, but I get a very similar stack dump from
pig 0.5 where the error also occurs.

Is anyone else seeing this? I didn't get a lot of hits in google.

thanks!
james