Flume >> mail # user >> Restarts without data loss

Re: Restarts without data loss
A further observation:

When running our collector node with avro source and hdfssink, I
observed it keeping up with about 1400+ events per second. Upon looking
at the exec sink I noticed it sends every item as a separate event to
the processor. So I think I may have misunderstood the frequency with
which fsync is happening, and that the main issue is any sink/source
that works together with the channel in tiny amounts(resulting in
frequent disk flushes and strangling throughput).

While improvements to the channel would be very welcome, it may be more
productive to document this  behavior and introduce  batching modes to
those sources/sinks that do not currently feature one.

On 07/10/2012 11:14 AM, Juhani Connolly wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 02:36 AM, Brock Noland wrote:
>> If you ran the workload with file channel and then took 10 thread
>> dumps I think we'd have enough to understand what is going on.
>>
>> Brock
> I've taken some dumps and you can find them here:
> http://people.apache.org/~juhanic/ca-flume-fc-dumps.tar.gz
>
> I also included a png from visualvm's thread visualization where you
> can confirm that the source is constantly busy(trying to get stuff
> into the file channel), while the 5 sinks are pretty idle. Let me know
> if there's anything else I can provide
>
>> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Juhani Connolly
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> It is currently pushing only 10 events per second or so(roughly 250
>>> bytes
>>> per event). This is with datadir/checkpoint on the same directory.
>>> Of course
>>> the fact that there is a tail process running and that tomcat is also
>>> writing out logs is without a doubt compounding the problem somewhat.
>>>
>>> I haven't taken a serious look at thread dumps of the file channel
>>> since I
>>> don't have a thorough understanding of it. However analysis has
>>> involved
>>> trying varying numbers of sinks(no throughput difference) and
>>> replacing with
>>> memory channel(which easily handles the 650 ish requests per second
>>> we have
>>> per server for the particular api, no problems even with a single
>>> sink).
>>>
>>> Since you say there's heavy fsyncing, and with 7200rpm disks, each
>>> seek will
>>> have an average latency of 4.16ms, so for alternating seeks between the
>>> checkpoint and the data dir, if each of those writes happens in order,
>>> you're already limited to best case of barely more than 100 events per
>>> second. Our experience so far has shown it to be significantly less.
>>>
>>> I do believe that batching a bunch of puts or takes with a single
>>> commit
>>> together as two seeks followed by writes(or one if we can only use a
>>> single
>>> storage file) could give significant returns when paired with a
>>> batching
>>> sink/source(which many already do... Requesting multiple items at a