HBase, mail # user - Shared Cluster between HBase and MapReduce

+
Atif Khan 2012-06-06, 00:00
+
Amandeep Khurana 2012-06-06, 00:20
+
Tim Robertson 2012-06-06, 07:22
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-06-06, 21:22
Re: Shared Cluster between HBase and MapReduce
Paul Mackles 2012-06-06, 00:15
For our setup we went with 2 clusters. We call one our "hbase cluster" and
the other our "analytics cluster". For M/R jobs where hbase is the source
and/or sink we usually run the jobs on the "hbase cluster" and so far its
been fine (and you definitely want the data locality for these jobs). We
also export data from our "hbase cluster" to HDFS on the analytics cluster
for M/R jobs where we need to join with data that lives outside of hbase.
In my experience, you can run M/R jobs on the same cluster as hbase but
you need to limit the number of tasks that you run on that cluster to make
sure hbase gets its share of resources. For example, our nodes have 8
cores and we reserve 3 of them for hbase. On the analytics cluster we use
all of the cores for M/R tasks. Given the ad-hoc nature of our analytics
workload (lots of hive/pig queries), I sleep a lot better at night knowing
that no matter how bad a query someone comes up with, it won't take down
hbase since we keep it on a separate cluster.