Pig >> mail # user >> RE: reading input parameters in a pig script

RE: reading input parameters in a pig script
I will not be able to use %default statement in my pig script, as the parameters being passed to my pig script are not fixed. I would need a conditional check to be done in my pig script to check for each and every input parameter if it is passed or not.
Also, there are no conditional operators (if/else) available in pig .

Following is the psuedocode of the functionality I want to achieve

Consider  pig files:
1) xmlparser.pig
2) excelexporter.pig
3) htmlexporter.pig

1) xmlparser.pig
REGISTER /opt/apache_pig/pig-0.10.1/contrib/piggybank/java/piggybank.jar;
REGISTER /tmp/custudf.jar;

DEFINE XMLProcessor org.sdc.map.processor.XMLProcessor();
PRODUCTS = load 'product.xml' using org.apache.pig.piggybank.storage.XMLLoader('product') as (line:chararray);
PRODUCT = FOREACH PRODUCTS GENERATE FLATTEN(XMLProcessor(line)) as (id:chararray, name:chararray, description:chararray);

Please note, XMLProcessor is a custom java based udf which parses the xml.

2) excelexporter.pig
STORE PRODUCT INTO '/tmp/prod.csv' USING CSVExcelStorage(',','NO_MULTILINE','UNIX');

3) htmlexporter.pig
//logic for this is not yet implemented

Now the requirement is that I need to write a wrapper pig script which invokes the following script and generates an output. The parameters that will be passed are the input params and the out file format

For ex pig -param param1=name param2=description outfileformat=csv wrapper.pig

Now what I need to do is based on the params passed to the wrapper pig script, I need to send inputs to the xml parser and parse the input params. In the above case since name and description are passed as params the xml should be parsed only for these 2 fields.
Any idea how this can be achieved in a pig script?

Also depending on the output file format, I need to invoke the corresponding exporter script (html or csv) from my wrapper script. I don’t see any conditional operators available (if/else) in pig. Any idea how this can be achieved?