Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Contributing to the Hadoop project

+
Clay McDonald 2012-08-08, 17:23
+
Steve Loughran 2012-08-08, 17:34
+
Deepak Kapoor 2012-08-09, 00:31
Re: Contributing to the Hadoop project
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Deepak Kapoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On the wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute) it says
> that most development is done in Trunk.
>
> Let's say a bug is found in 2.0.0-alpha-rc1. Should it then be fixed in
> 2.0.0-alpha-rc1? How is this fix then applied to Trunk?

Patches get applied to trunk first, then if they're needed for a
specific release branch they'll get applied to that branch as well. In
the very unusual case that a bug is only in the release branch then
whoever is managing the release would take care of applying the patch
to the branch.

As a beginning contributor I (and you, I hope!) just post patches to a
Jira and, once the patch is in good enough shape with reviews and
passes Jenkins, a committer takes care of the rest of the process.

-andy