Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project

+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 02:33
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 03:50
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 16:31
+
Tom White 2012-08-29, 17:30
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-29, 17:42
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-08-29, 17:02
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 17:13
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-08-29, 17:26
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 18:41
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 17:04
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 18:22
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-29, 18:49
+
Tom White 2012-08-29, 20:34
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 20:40
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 21:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 13:46
+
Sharad Agarwal 2012-08-30, 06:41
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:29
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-30, 16:17
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:44
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-30, 02:59
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:54
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-08-30, 10:12
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 14:11
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-08-30, 14:23
+
Brock Noland 2012-08-30, 14:43
+
Devaraj Das 2012-08-31, 01:28
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 06:02
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:15
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 06:42
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:50
Hi Andrew,

On Aug 30, 2012, at 11:42 PM, Andrew Purtell wrote:

> If Apache Hadoop -- as an umbrella or sum of its parts -- isn't practical
> to develop end applications or downstream projects on, the community will
> disappear.

Sure, the end-user community might disappear, but the point I'm trying to make is
that the community is more than that. It's developers that build code together
("community over code"); it's folks who write documentation who are part of the
project's committee of folks working together to develop software for the public
good at this Foundation. It's folks who write unit tests as part of that.  It's also people
that fly by on the lists and that need help; or that may throw up a patch, or
whatever. It's other members of the Apache Software Foundation that are
charged with caring and giving a rip about the Foundation's projects.

It's also downstream users of the software too -- they just aren't the only folks who
are the community, that's all.

> I don't follow your logic. I deal with the technical realities
> of actually trying to use an Apache Hadoop distribution, the pieces
> released as source from the ASF, directly in production, and your position
> is dismissive if not hostile to my concerns as an end user.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be dismissive. But at the same time I want to suggest that
the community is broader than simply the technical folks who use the project.

> What
> "community" do you mean then? Vendors? Academics? People who like to tinker
> with things they can't actually use?

Yeah the community I'm talking about is the larger whole that makes up
the community of the project.

> And you can't just hand waive that this will all work out if done RIGHT
> NOW, especially with something as inelegant as a SVN copy.

Well the project's health is something that ought to be fixed, and it ought
to be done under a timeline. *right now* isn't probably going to be a reality.
But I am doing my job as a member of the Foundation in helping to discuss,
further root out, and educate the folks around here as to the way that projects
work at the Foundation.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-31, 16:59
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-31, 17:10
+
Jagane Sundar 2012-08-31, 17:24
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-31, 17:11
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 07:55
+
Robert Evans 2012-08-31, 14:34
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 15:09
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 16:00
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 16:08
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-09-01, 00:23
+
Sharad Agarwal 2012-09-01, 09:59
+
Mahadev Konar 2012-08-31, 15:05
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:36
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 13:51
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 10:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 11:00
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-30, 00:16
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 00:55
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:34
+
Jakob Homan 2012-08-29, 21:22
+
Travis Thompson 2012-08-29, 22:30
+
Steve Loughran 2012-08-31, 11:54
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 14:14
+
Robert Evans 2012-08-29, 15:17
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 17:22
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-29, 03:45
+
Michael Segel 2012-08-29, 17:26
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 18:48
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:20
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 05:46
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 06:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 07:02
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-30, 07:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 12:29
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:35
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-08-29, 23:53
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:47
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:48
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:52
+
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-30, 16:33
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-30, 17:00
+
Owen OMalley 2012-08-30, 18:25
+
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-31, 19:00
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 20:44
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-31, 22:43
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-29, 18:41
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:19
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 05:38
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 06:06
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 06:18
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 06:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 07:17
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:27
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:32
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:47
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:40
+
Jun Ping Du 2012-08-29, 18:35
+
Chris Douglas 2012-08-31, 01:24
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-08-31, 03:35
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2012-08-31, 15:59
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-01, 13:21