HBase >> mail # dev >> deprecating (old) metrics in favor of metrics2 framework

+
Ted Yu 2012-07-07, 14:23
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2012-07-09, 16:28
+
Ted Yu 2012-07-09, 16:35
+
Ted Yu 2012-07-09, 19:28
+
Elliott Clark 2012-07-09, 21:34
+
lars hofhansl 2012-07-09, 23:47
+
Ted Yu 2012-07-09, 23:52
+
lars hofhansl 2012-07-09, 23:56
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2012-07-10, 04:05
+
Ted Yu 2012-07-10, 08:45
Re: deprecating (old) metrics in favor of metrics2 framework
Do we have any usage of metrics2 currently in 0.94?  If not, it seems
odd to deprecate existing metrics implementations.  Aside from whether
or not we should deprecate in a point release, normally deprecation
happens when the new implementation you're supposed to move to has
already been added, so that you have both old and new versions in
parallel.

If we deprecate existing metrics in 0.94 and only have metrics2
implementation in 0.96, that gives no chance for switching back and
forth between the two in the same release.  While most of the metrics
classes can be seen as private, I think that MetricsContext is
arguably a public interface.  Implementing your own MetricsContext to
plugin to your own monitoring system is not that crazy a thing to do.
So if that is changing in the move from metrics to metrics2, I think
it would be hurting our users to not have both implementations
available at the same time.
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In another email thread 'HBase 0.94.1', Lars has kindly accepted the motion
> that deprecating current metric classes be done for 0.94.1
>
> Since 0.94.1 contains critical bug fixes, I want to get public opinion on
> closing this poll earlier than Friday.
>
> Thanks for the understanding.
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> wrote:
>
>> +1 for deprecating and moving to metrics2 faster.
>> I'd normally make the same argument about deprecating that Lars H. made,
>> but I think current HBase metrics really need improvement, so if I had
>> voting power I'd vote to drop old stuff and move to metrics2 ASAP.
>>
>> Otis

+
Ted Yu 2012-07-10, 19:02
+