HBase, mail # dev - [VOTE] The 1st hbase 0.94.7 release candidate is available for download

+
lars hofhansl 2013-04-17, 18:40
Re: [VOTE] The 1st hbase 0.94.7 release candidate is available for download
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-18, 15:13
Here is the PerformanceEvaluation comparison report:
http://www.spaggiari.org/media/blogs/hbase/pdf/performances_20130418.pdf

previous 0.94 releases;
- Scan range are about 3% slower;
- Random read are 7% faster;
- But random writes are 7% slower.
Basically, here is what I did:
- Downloaded the file, checked signature for both security and "regular"
distribution. Both fine.
- Decompressed regular distribution and checked the CHANGES.txt and
documentation content (few random pages).
- Ran it in standalone; checked the UI, the logs and ran all performance
evaluation scenarios.
- Ran HBCK few times before and after.
- Ran IntegrationTestLoadAndVerify (ROWS_WRITTEN=0;
REFERENCES_CHECKED=9855322). Not sure how to validate the results but I
will have expected REFERENCES_CHECKED to be 10000000.
- Ran IntegrationTestBigLinkedList (REFERENCED=6000000), sound right based
on the command line (Loop 2 1 3000000)
- Ran the test suite (org.apache.hadoop.hbase.catalog.TestMetaReaderEditor
failed the first time, I re-ran alone it and it passed. Re-ran the entire
test suite, failed at the same place.)
- Deployed it on 9 servers (8 RS, 1 master) and did a rolling-restart.
- Checked the logs, status, UI;
- Changed balancer to default balancer, stop hbase, merged all regions into
a single one, restarted;
- Checked HBCK, table status, logs, table regions (should have ony one),
etc.
- Ran major compaction on the small table from the shell, ran balancer,
checked the logs, checked the splits.
- Stopped the cluster, restored custom balancer, restarted, rebalanced,
checked transitions and logs.
- From shell, created a table; did few put, scan on the new and existing
tables, dropped table;
- Ran few different MR Job overnight, checked the results and logs.
- Ran IntegrationTestLoadAndVerify (ROWS_WRITTEN=0;
REFERENCES_CHECKED=9855185). Not sure how to validate the results but I
will have expected REFERENCES_CHECKED to be 10000000.
- Ran IntegrationTestBigLinkedList (REFERENCED=6000000), sound right based
on the command line (Loop 2 1 3000000)

Overall, +1 for me. All the comments are in the Google Spreadsheet.

But I think we should take a look at the random writes performances
degradation and to IntegrationTestLoadAnVerify results.

JM
2013/4/17 lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The 1st 0.94.7 RC is available for download at

> This RC has 71 issues resolved against it, contributed by 27 individuals.
> 0.94.7 is primarily a bug fix release. Notable exceptions include:
> HBASE-8176 Dynamic Schema Configurations
> HBASE-7801 Allow a deferred sync option per Mutation
>
> The full list of changes is available here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12324039
>
> Please try out the RC, check out the doc, take it for a spin, etc, and
> vote +1/-1 by April 24th on whether we should release this as 0.94.7.
>
> The release testing spreadsheet is available here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvLqcVIqNtlTdG9jbVNmWmhyeGJZeUo4MUdIMEEweEE#gid=0
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Lars
+