HBase >> mail # user >> lookup table

lookup table
I am debating if a lookup table would help my situation.

I have a bunch of codes which map with timestamp (unsigned int). The codes
look like this

AA4
AAA5
A21
A4
Z435

The size range from 1 character to 4 characters (1 to 4 bytes,
respectively).
Would adding a lookup table for all my codes help in reducing space? If so,
what would be the best way to hash something like this?
Stack 2012-09-16, 22:16
+
Rita 2012-09-16, 23:27
+