Bigtop >> mail # dev >> Re: Upgrade to protobuf 2.5.0 for the 2.1.0 release, HADOOP-9845

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd be huge +1 on a flag day migrating us to 2.5.x.
>
> We can run a set of validation tests in Bigtop on all components
> that could be affected by it. Hadoop and HBase are the obvious
> suspects. What else in the ecosystem could be affected?
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.
>
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Elliott Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In HBase land we've pretty well discovered that we'll need to have the
> > same version of protobuf that the HDFS/Yarn/MR servers are running.
> > That is to say there are issues with ever having 2.4.x and 2.5.x on
> > the same class path.

As long as Hadoop and HBase both are built using protoc = protobuf-java 2.5.0 things seem ok. I've not done full ecosystem tests though. Would be
interesting to upgrade a build box, do global substitutions in Maven and
Ivy specs, and see what happens.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy