From: Hemanth Yamijala [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 9:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to configure mapreduce archive size?

Hi,

This directory is used as part of the 'DistributedCache' feature. (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.4/mapred_tutorial.html#DistributedCache). There is a configuration key "local.cache.size" which controls the amount of data stored under DistributedCache. The default limit is 10GB. However, the files under this cannot be deleted if they are being used. Also, some frameworks on Hadoop could be using DistributedCache transparently to you.

So you could check what is being stored here and based on that lower the limit of the cache size if you feel that will help. The property needs to be set in mapred-default.xml.

Thanks
Hemanth