MapReduce, mail # dev - Abstraction layer to support both YARN and Mesos

Re: Abstraction layer to support both YARN and Mesos
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-07-31, 16:45

What I thought was the original proposal was to use the existing MR client+AM+task code to run on top of Mesos. And like Steve mentioned, today all of it is very tightly couple with YARN APIs. Using JobClient against a Mesos implementation of MapReduce is easy, changing AM to start getting containers from Mesos and launching via Mesos needs more abstractions. And at this point of time, again as Steve laid it out clearly, the focus of MapReduce project is on stabilizing and shipping together with YARN.

That said, working on thinking about those abstractions inside MR AM is a step forward IF there is enough interest around this. I see a couple of people already showing enthusiasm, but it'll be great to see more interest. May be a few from Mesos community who understand what those abstractions should look like.

The last thing we want is create unnecessary abstractions now that may never get used in the future.

Thanks,
+Vinod