Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 18:02
+
Arpit Gupta 2013-05-15, 19:54
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:59
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-05-15, 18:23
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-05-15, 18:32
Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

I also feel that some of YARN-397 should go in. If you also feel so, please put in a +1 to state your intention.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On May 15, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur wrote:

> Do we need to add YARN-397?
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Karthik Kambatla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Arun,
>>
>> Can we add HADOOP-9517 to the list - having compatibility guidelines should
>> help us support users and downstream projects better?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Karthik
>>

>> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> A considerable number of people have expressed confusion regarding the
>>> recent vote on 2.0.5, beta status etc. given lack of specifics, the
>> voting
>>> itself (validity of the vote itself, whose votes are binding) etc.
>>>
>>> IMHO technical arguments (incompatibility b/w 2.0 & 2.1, current
>> stability
>>> of 3 features under debate etc.) have been lost in the discussion in
>> favor
>>> of non-technical (almost dramatic) nuances such as "seizing the moment".
>>> There is now dangerous talk of tolerating incompatibility b/w 2.0 and
>> 2.1)
>>> - this is a red flag for me; particularly when there are just 3 features
>>> being debated and active committers and contributors are confident of and
>>> ready to stand by their work. All patches, I believe, are ready to be
>>> merged in the the next few days per discussions on jira. This will,
>>> clearly, not delay the other API work which everyone agrees is crucial.
>> As
>>> a result, I feel no recourse but to restart a new vote - all attempts at
>>> calm, reasoned, civil discussion based on technical arguments have come
>>> naught - I apologize for the thrash caused to everyone's attention.
>>>
>>> To get past all of this confusion, I'd like to present an alternate,
>>> specific proposal for consideration.
>>>
>>> I propose we continue the original plan and make a 2.0.5-beta release by
>>> May end with the following content:
>>> # HDFS-347
>>> # HDFS Snapshots
>>> # Windows support
>>> # Necessary & final API/protocol changes such as:
>>> * Final YARN API changes: YARN-386
>>> * MR Binary Compatibility: MAPREDUCE-5108
>>> * Final RPC cleanup: HADOOP-8990
>>>
>>> People working on the above features have all expressed considerable
>>> comfort with them and are ready to stand-by to help expedite any
>> necessary
>>> bug-fixes etc. to get to stabilization quickly. I'm confident we can get
>>> this release out by end of May. This sets stage for a hadoop-2.x GA
>> release
>>> right after with some more testing - this means I think I can quickly
>> turn
>>> around and make bug-fix releases as necessary right after 2.0.5-beta.
>>>
>>> I request that people consider helping out with this plan and sign up to
> [...]

+
Bikas Saha 2013-05-15, 20:16
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:23
+
Amir Sanjar 2013-05-15, 18:14
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:06
+
Nathan Roberts 2013-05-16, 18:28
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-17, 07:06
+
eric baldeschwieler 2013-05-15, 20:20
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-05-15, 20:25
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-15, 20:43
+
Zhijie Shen 2013-05-15, 20:47
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 21:21
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-15, 22:27
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:44
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:56
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 22:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:56
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:14
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 21:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-15, 23:17
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-16, 06:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 21:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 22:02
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 22:31
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 22:50
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:47
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:19
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-16, 17:22
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-17, 19:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 04:25
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:41
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:52
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:38
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 07:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-16, 18:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:29
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:15
+
Devaraj Das 2013-05-15, 20:39
+
Robert Evans 2013-05-16, 15:19