HDFS >> mail # user >> hadoop clients

+
Marcel Mitsuto F. S. 2013-03-20, 17:58
Re: hadoop clients
You are correct about your idea of clients. To talk to HDFS, they need
to be allowed to talk to the NN's ports as well as the DN's ports. To
talk to YARN/MR, they need access to both RM and NM ports (as well as
the JobHistoryServer's web port).

Aside of just a local install, they'll also need the install
configured to point to the cluster's URLs.

Regarding 0.23 or 2.0.3, you can choose either. The 0.23 is a
fast-moving one right now, as stability improvements under YARN and
MR2 are continuously being added and released (majorly by and for use
at Yahoo! as well). The 2.0.x has a slightly wider release period with
new features and possible incompatibilities still coming in (until it
hits beta) and carries HDFS-HA features in it, plus protobuf-based
protocols (which 0.23 lacks). Eventually, the 0.23 will stop and move
over to 2.x once the latter finally stabilizes.

But upgrade-wise, you can do both 1.x -> 2.x or 1.x -> 0.23.x (For
now, until it lasts) -> 2.x; both routes are supported.

--
Harsh J
+