Zookeeper, mail # dev - ZooKeeper cleanup / refactoring / scala migration

ZooKeeper cleanup / refactoring / scala migration
Thomas Koch 2011-09-02, 13:15
Hi,

my university labs work has started yesterday. In the next two months I'll
work on ZooKeeper. This work has three major goals

 - improve the maintainability of the code base
 - migrate ZooKeeper to scala and use actors for reliable concurrency
 - find other developers to collaborate on the scala version

I plan to work in these steps:

 1. use static analysis tools to cleanup the java codebase
    ( checkstyle, pmd, findbugs, eclipse compiler warnings )

 2. decrease dependencies in the ZK java packages, break cyclic dependencies

 3. migrate components one-by-one to scala, starting with the leafs of the
dependency graph

I'd be happy if as much as possible of my work in steps 1. and 2. could also
be useful for you. What would be a good strategy to go? I assume you're
concentrating now on getting 3.4 out and don't have time for other things. Can
I help on 3.4 blockers?

I've set up a gerrit[1] (git based code review) and a jenkins[2] server for my
project. Jenkins is armed with checkstyle, findbugs, pmd, copy-paste-detection
and jdepends. I've carefully selected the checks run by checkstyle and pmd and
would suggest that the remaining warnings should really be eliminated.

Gerrit already hosts two changesets which eliminate nearly all eclipse
compiler warnings. I'd be happy if you'd like to create an account at the
gerrit instance (openid needed) and play around with it. I can also give you
reviewer status which lets you push changes. Every change push will trigger a
jenkins build.

I've already proposed to infra@a.o that I'd help in setting up a gerrit server
for the ASF if any project would be interested.

[1] http://koch.ro:8081
[2] http://koch.ro:8080

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro