Pig >> mail # dev >> pig 0.11 candidate 2 feedback: Several problems

Re: pig 0.11 candidate 2 feedback: Several problems
Time is not the right metric to determine how long we support a particular release of Hadoop.  Some versions of Hadoop are widely adopted and have a long life (0.20) and some have very low adoption and short life spans (0.19, 0.21).  We're an open source project driven by volunteers, so it makes sense that we support versions that we have people willing to test and verify releases against.  Those of us at Hortonworks test Pig against Hadoop 1.x and 2.x.  I assume Cheolsoo tests it against CDH 3 and 4.  The Yahoo members test it against 0.23.  I'm not sure what the Twitter guys are running but I'm sure they test it against their version(s) of Hadoop.  So if someone is willing to run the tests and submit the patches for 0.20.2, then let's support it.  I agree that at some point the additional code complexity required to support older versions is no longer justified even when people want it.  But as pointed out we're not there yet with 0.20.x.

Alan.