Hive, mail # dev - How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?

Re: How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?
Brock Noland 2013-09-19, 15:35
First off, I have to apologize, I didn't know there would be such
passions on both sides of the 0.20.2 argument!

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Edward Capriolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That rant being done,

No worries man, Hadoop versions are something worth ranting about.
IMHO Hadoop has a history of changing API's and breaking end users.
However, I feel this is improving.

> we can not and should not support hadoop 0.20.2
> forever. Discontinuing hadoop 0.20.2 in say 6 months might be reasonable,
> but I think dropping it on the floor due to a one line change for a missing
> convenience constructor is a bit knee-jerk.

Very sorry if I came across with the opinion that we should "drop
0.20.2 now" because of the constructor issue. The issue brought up
0.20.2's age in my mind and the logical next step is to ask how long
we plan on supporting it! :) I like the time bounding idea and I feel
6 months is reasonable. FWIW, the 1.X series is stable for my needs.

Brock