Hadoop >> mail # user >> problem setting up multi-user cluster using locally-mounted shared filesystem

problem setting up multi-user cluster using locally-mounted shared filesystem
Sorry....I accidentally hit the send button on the last email.

Hello all,

we're trying to set up a multi-user MapReduce cluster that doesn't use
HDFS.  The idea is to use a central, shared JobTracker to which we add
or remove task trackers as needed---a sort of in-house elastic MapReduce.

Following the cluster setup documentation
(https://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/cluster_setup.html#Site+Configuration)
, we have set up the LinuxTaskController and it seems to be working. The
problem we're having at the moment is the following.

The JT is running as one user, while jobs are being submitted by others.
  The JT isn't able to read the job files created by the client in the
staging directory because the job directory has permissions set to 700.
  If we try to change the permissions, we get an error like the one below.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?  Thanks in advance...
> [sbsuser@entu225 ~]$ /SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/seal-0.3.1-rc1/bin/prq /SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/qseq /SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/prq_out13
> Using hadoop executable /SHARE/USERFS/els6/HADOOP_intest/hadoop_sw/bin/hadoop
> Warning: $HADOOP_HOME is deprecated.
>
> WARNING: org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter is deprecated. Please use org.apache.hadoop.log.metrics.EventCounter in all the log4j.properties files.
> 12/05/15 17:39:39 ERROR security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException as:sbsuser cause:java.io.IOException: The ownership/permissions on the staging directory file:/SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/HADOOP_intest/hadoop_fs/mapred/staging/sbsuser/.staging is not as expected. It is owned by sbsuser and permissions are rwxr-xr-x. The directory must be owned by the submitter sbsuser or by sbsuser and permissions must be rwx------
> Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: The ownership/permissions on the staging directory file:/SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/HADOOP_intest/hadoop_fs/mapred/staging/sbsuser/.staging is not as expected. It is owned by sbsuser and permissions are rwxr-xr-x. The directory must be owned by the submitter sbsuser or by sbsuser and permissions must be rwx------
>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmissionFiles.getStagingDir(JobSubmissionFiles.java:108)
>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:856)
>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:850)
>     at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:396)
>     at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1093)
>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJobInternal(JobClient.java:850)
>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job.submit(Job.java:500)
>     at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job.waitForCompletion(Job.java:530)
>     at it.crs4.seal.prq.PairReadsQSeq.run(Unknown Source)
>     at it.crs4.seal.common.SealToolRunner.run(Unknown Source)
>     at it.crs4.seal.prq.PairReadsQSeq.main(Unknown Source)
> Error running PRQ
> [sbsuser@entu225 ~]$ /SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/seal-0.3.1-rc1/bin/prq /SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/qseq /SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/prq_out13
> Using hadoop executable /SHARE/USERFS/els6/HADOOP_intest/hadoop_sw/bin/hadoop
> Warning: $HADOOP_HOME is deprecated.
>
> WARNING: org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter is deprecated. Please use org.apache.hadoop.log.metrics.EventCounter in all the log4j.properties files.
> 12/05/15 17:40:08 INFO util.NativeCodeLoader: Loaded the native-hadoop library
> ****file:/SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/qseq
> 12/05/15 17:40:08 INFO input.FileInputFormat: Total input paths to process : 2
> 12/05/15 17:40:08 INFO mapred.JobClient: Cleaning up the staging area file:/SHARE/USERFS/els7/users/muggiri/HADOOP_intest/hadoop_fs/mapred/staging/sbsuser/.staging/job_201205151739_0001
> [...]

Luca Pireddu
CRS4 - Distributed Computing Group
Loc. Pixina Manna Edificio 1
09010 Pula (CA), Italy