Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Monitor: Adding graphs for each table and server

+
Supun Kamburugamuva 2013-04-05, 15:21
Re: Monitor: Adding graphs for each table and server
> ACCUMULO-594 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-594> talks
> about OpenTSBD. Can you please give me some references on why we need
> OpenTSBD?

The monitor provides a quick summary of accumulo stats, a bit of history
and the most recent ERROR/WARN log messages.
But it's all just kept in memory and only for an hour or so.  It isn't a
real monitoring tool at all.
It is nice to have *something* we can depend upon as soon as you get
accumulo running.
I do a lot of accumulo support, and having the monitor lets relatively
unsophisticated users see problems right away.

But we don't have a lot of time to keep putting more energy into making the
monitor a better monitoring tool.
It would be better to integrate with other monitoring tools.

OpenTSDB stores and presents time-series data.  It can monitor anything and
use a NoSQL back-end database to persist the monitored data.
It can handle monitoring thousands of nodes, each with hundreds of
datapoints.
Perhaps there are better tools out there.

We would still need some tool for the management of log/event data, too.

-Eric
+
Supun Kamburugamuva 2013-04-05, 17:29
+