HBase >> mail # user >> HBASE-7846 : is it safe to use on 0.94.4 ?

+
Viral Bajaria 2013-07-01, 09:51
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-07-02, 18:22
+
Viral Bajaria 2013-07-03, 10:58
Re: HBASE-7846 : is it safe to use on 0.94.4 ?
Would online merge help (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7403) ?

The feature is not in 0.94 though.

Cheers

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Viral Bajaria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I ended up writing a tool which helps merge the table regions into a target
> # of regions. For example if you want to go from N --> N/8, then the tool
> figures out the grouping and merges them in one pass. I will put it up in a
> github repo soon and share it here.
>
> The sad part of this approach is the downtime required. It's taking over 2
> hours on my test cluster which is less than 30% of the production table
> size. In absolute value, the table has over 100 regions and I am merging it
> down to 20 or so and it has 20GB of compressed (lzo) data.
>
> Is there a better way to achieve this ? If not, should I open a JIRA to
> explore the chance of running the Merge util on a disabled table rather
> than having to shutdown the entire cluster ? It will also be great to
> ignore compaction when merging the table and then do it as a later step
> since that can happen online. Just throwing some ideas here.
>
> Thanks,
> Viral
>
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Viral,
> >
> > It was working fine when I did it. I'm not sure you can still apply it
> > to a recent HBase version because some code change. But I can take a
> > look to see if I can rebase it...
> >
> > JM

+
Viral Bajaria 2013-07-03, 11:35