HBase >> mail # dev >> Re: questions about roadmap

Re: questions about roadmap
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM, 박주현 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I have some questions for you about roadmap..Please give me some
> advice.
>
> Could you explain your public or private roadmap of  your open source  for
> years to come? We expect to know your development plan by year as detail as
> possible.
> (If you have no plan,please tell me your opinion.2013~2016) I want to know
> start and end time each technology.
>
> Thank you for giving me your time.

We do not have a 'roadmap'.

The closest approximation is the list of issues filed against a particular
version tag up in JIRA.  For example, see [1] for the issues filed against
our next major revision currently called 0.98.  This is a rough outline of
what we think important to work on but it is just a sketch and not to be
depended-upon.  Only versions that are close to release have had a weeding
done removing issues that for sure will not make the cut.  Even then, not
all issues will make the release.

Some of the participating individuals and companies have internal roadmaps
of features and fixes they want included in each release (For example, we
do where I work).  These are not usually published.  They will instead
bring along the appropriate Apache JIRA so it can be deciphered what folks
are focused on.  Individuals will also talk up what they are doing at
meetups and on the mailing list.

Other teams have announced high-level goals such as the lads from Intel's
focus on 'security' or salesforce's work on improving scan speeds and
building 2ndary indices. These high-level objectives again are cut up into
JIRA-sized pieces (the high-level goal can be lost when you are looking at
JIRAs alone; perhaps we should have a page where we list these high-level
objectives?).

We used to try and keep a running roadmap up on the wiki but we removed it
because it was embarrassing how often the releases shipped diverged from
what we thought they would contain.  Now we just point at what is in JIRA.
 In open source projects, we can talk all we want about how we want the
project to be.  At the end of the day, what folks actually contribute is
what we ship.

The last time we as a project discussed the long-term project vision was
back in 2012 [2].  I do not see us deviating from what was agreed back
then, not any time soon.

Hope this helps,
St.Ack
1.