Hadoop >> mail # general >> Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0

On 05/02/2011 02:05 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> As I noted before you were the first one to propose this release off
> Yahoo security patch-set in April, 2010:
> http://s.apache.org/5Gv
>
> What has changed since? Clearly, the same situation exists today.

I have absolutely no objection in principle to an Apache 0.20 release
including security.  I object to the fact that this patchset started
from an arbitrary point and unilaterally applied a large set of patches
that are not well correlated with Jira, trunk or other 0.20 branches.

> Also, please note that of the ~450 commits in the branch, only 30 odd
> jiras are yet to be committed to trunk:
> http://s.apache.org/7Pe. So it's incorrect to state 'lack of community
> involvement'.

This should be easily discoverable from Jira: issues should use the
"fix-for" field to indicate which branches they've been merged to.  This
standard practice has not been observed for over 400 patches included in
this release candidate.

> Assuming the technical inconsistencies are sorted out, are you willing
> to withdraw you objection?

These are not just technical concerns.  How I vote on any future release
candidate will in part depend on how the community is involved in its
production.

Thanks,

Doug