Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I propose we continue the original plan and make a 2.0.5-beta release by May end with the following content:

I have a very basic question: what are the steps that we, as a community,
are willing to undertake to ensure that our aggressive release schedule
(end of May is exactly two weeks away) and our intent of actually
calling this a beta release would be realistic?

Please tell me if my expectations are incorrect, but to me the -beta would
signify it being a 'safe' target for the downstream components. We're still
finding *very* basic and *very* disruptive issues (MAPREDUCE-5240 is
a good example) that essentially mean DOA for downstream that depends
on this functionality.

Are we comfortable with delivering 2.0.5-beta and later on starting
to discover things like MAPREDUCE-5240 more or less accidentally?

As I mentioned in a different thread -- there are a few things that
Apache Bigtop can help with in that regard -- but they can only
happen if we as a community agree that they need to happen
before we can call Hadoop 2.x a beta release.

If this sounds useful to the Hadoop community at large -- lets fork
this thread into the appropriate ML and discuss the practical, achievable
steps that can be included into the release criteria of Hadoop 2.0.5-beta
as it is being discussed here.

Thanks,
Roman.