Accumulo >> mail # user >> [VOTE] 1.5.0-RC2

+
Christopher 2013-05-09, 00:31
+
Keith Turner 2013-05-09, 18:34
+
Roshan Punnoose 2013-05-09, 18:50
+
Christopher 2013-05-09, 19:42
+
Keith Turner 2013-05-09, 20:05
+
Drew Farris 2013-05-12, 13:19
+
Christopher 2013-05-12, 16:54
+
Christopher 2013-05-12, 20:15
Re: [VOTE] 1.5.0-RC2
On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't want to change the source-release tarball name, because I
> don't want to override the parent pom conventions for the *official*
> source release. However, there may be more to be done with the
> binary-release tarball... I'm just not sure what is the best option,
> keeping in mind the factors of 1) consistency with prior releases, 2)
> maven standards and conventions, 3) consistency between what is
> published in Maven and what is published in the mirrors, and 4) not
> holding up the release.
Christopher, thanks for the detailed explanation.

I believe I understand your goals regarding conventions (sticking to them),
but something seems a little strange about the 'source-release' tarball
name considering the Apache Maven project itself does not follow that
convention for their artifacts (see: http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi)
-- neither do Hadoop, Lucene or HTTPd.

That said, there appear to be a number of projects that >do< use
source-release (https://www.google.com/search?q=source-release.tar.gz), so
if it source-release.tar.gz is generally what's preferred over src.tar.gz,
let's go with it.

Point taken about dist vs. bin -- I'd seen dist used in previous versons of
accumulo, but bin makes much more sense and seems to be a common
convention. The second most common convention seems to be leaving the type
off the tar.gz entirely, e.g: accumulo-1.5.0.tar.gz - according to google,
binary-release.tar.gz seems to be used absolutely nowhere, so accumulo
would be certainly a trailblazer in this territory if we followed that
naming convention.

Both of these facts aside, the oddest thing to me is the inclusion of
'assemble' in the artifact name. I understand why it is there and why it is
necessary to assemble everything in a separate maven submodule, but
changing this should be as simple as changing the finalName parameter in
the assembly plugin configuration, shouldn't it? If we really must include
something in the artifact name, consider the more meaningful term
'distribution' instead of 'assemble'? Then we wind up with something like:
accumulo-distribution-1.5.0-source-release.tar.gz (which is pretty
long-winded, isn't it?)

So, preferring the terse, I'd vote for accumulo-1.5.0-src.tar.gz and
accumulo-1.5.0.tar.gz or accumulo-1.5.0-bin.tar.gz
+
Christopher 2013-05-13, 03:15
+
Drew Farris 2013-05-13, 13:29