HBase >> mail # dev >> All region server died due to "Parent directory doesn't exist"

+
lars hofhansl 2013-05-09, 06:39
+
lars hofhansl 2013-05-09, 07:23
+
lars hofhansl 2013-05-09, 07:41
+
Ted Yu 2013-05-09, 08:33
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-09, 08:59
+
Ted Yu 2013-05-09, 09:04
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-09, 09:06
+
lars hofhansl 2013-05-09, 15:48
+
Ted Yu 2013-05-09, 16:07
+
lars hofhansl 2013-05-09, 16:16
+
Varun Sharma 2013-05-09, 16:39
+
Varun Sharma 2013-05-09, 16:41
+
Ted Yu 2013-05-09, 16:51
+
lars hofhansl 2013-05-09, 17:03
+
Stack 2013-05-09, 17:34
+
lars hofhansl 2013-05-09, 18:13
+
lars hofhansl 2013-05-09, 18:28
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-05-10, 01:10
Re: All region server died due to "Parent directory doesn't exist"
Still looking. Stack and Himanshu are looking too (tanks again!).

What I do know is that it has to do the fencing mechanism during log splitting.
Until I bounced HDFS and ZK (ZK probably being the culprit) each started RegionServer would immediately be fenced off (it's log directory renamed).
Probably by the SSH.

It is not clear what caused the first RS to die. While there is no direct evidence, from the logs it looks like the log directory was just suddenly renamed.

I'll spend more time in the logs and also watch for this happening again.

We did find another misconfigured cluster that had some services pointed at this cluster. It does not look like that was actually a problem - there is no evidence in the logs that this actually caused a problem, but it made this deploy somewhat "special".
-- Lars