HBase >> mail # user >> HBase Put

So then a GET query means one needs to look in every HFile where key falls within the min/max range of the file.

>From another parallel thread, I gather, HFile comprise of blocks which, I think, is an atomic unit of persisted data in HDFS.(please correct if not).

And that each block for a HFile has a range of keys. My key can satisfy the range for the block and yet may not be present. So, all the blocks that match the range for my key, will need to be scanned. There is one block index per HFile which sorts blocks by key ranges. This index help in reducing the number of blocks to scan by extracting only those blocks whose ranges satisfy the key.

In this case, if puts are random wrt order, each block may have similar range and it may turn out that Hbase needs to scan every block for the File. This may not be good for performance.

I just want to validate my understanding.

Thanks,
Abhishek
-----Original Message-----
From: lars hofhansl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HBase Put

That is correct.

________________________________
 From: "Pamecha, Abhishek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:45 PM

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the explanation. I still have a little doubt:

Based on your description, given gets do a merge sort, the data on disk is not kept sorted across files, but just sorted within a file.

So, basically if on two separate days, say these keys get inserted:

Day1: File1:   A B J M
Day2: File2:  C D K P

Then each file is sorted within itself, but scanning both files will require Hbase to use merge sort to produce a sorted result. Right?

Also, File 1 and File2 are immutable, and during compactions, File 1 and File2 are compacted and sorted using merge sort to a bigger File3. Is that correct too?

Thanks,
Abhishek