Hadoop >> mail # general >> Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
> From: Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 3:29 AM
>
> Back in Jan 2011, I started a discussion about how to
> define Apache Hadoop Compatibility:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201101.mbox/%[EMAIL PROTECTED]%3E
>
> I am now reading EMC HD "Enterprise Ready" Apache Hadoop
> datasheet
[...]
>  -I don't think you can claim to have a
> Distribution/Fork/Version of Apache Hadoop if you swap out
> big chunks of it for alternate filesystems, MR engines, etc.
> Some description of this is needed
> "Supports the Apache Hadoop MapReduce engine on top of
> Filesystem XYZ"

This is also the case with Brisk, which replaces HDFS and the standard JobTracker with Cassandra and a new JobTracker, and claims to be a Hadoop distribution.

  "Apache Hadoop TM Powered by Cassandra"
  http://www.datastax.com/products/brisk

  "DataStax’ Brisk is an enhanced open-source Apache Hadoop and
  Hive distribution that utilizes Apache Cassandra for many of
  its core services. [...]"

  -  Andy