Hive, mail # user - INSERT non-static data to array?

INSERT non-static data to array?
Michael Malak 2013-06-19, 19:23
Is the only way to INSERT data into a column of type array<> to load data from a pre-existing file, to use hard-coded values in the INSERT statement, or copy an entire array verbatim from another table?  I.e. I'm assuming that a) SQL1999 array INSERT via subquery is not (yet) implemented in Hive, and b) there is also no other way to load dynamically generated data into an array<> column?  If my assumption in a) is true, does a Jira item need to be created for it?