Hive >> mail # user >> Passing table properties to the InputFormat

+
Shantian Purkad 2011-08-21, 00:01
+
Shantian Purkad 2011-08-22, 16:08
Re: Passing table properties to the InputFormat
This is essentially the hack that needs to be done as Hive has no
InputFormat that passes the properties from the job (in contrast to
HiveOutputFormat, which does. I've been meaning to open a JIRA to make
this symmetrical and obviate the need for the hack.)  There are two
things to take into account, howeover: one is that in queries that go
over multiple tables, there may be multiple properties hanging about
and so it is necessary to identify the correct properties for this bit
of work.  The second is that in select * statements, no mapred job is
run, so this trick doesn't work (and instead, the Configuration object
can be used, since it's local).

Take a look at this code from Haivvreo (http://bit.ly/pIG3cB), which
has to pull out the reader schema from the properties file for the
correct partition.  It's doing essentially the same task as what
you're trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps.
-Jakob