HBase >> mail # user >> the occasion of the major compact?

Re: the occasion of the major compact?
Yong,

Can you please explain why you want to disable major compactions?  What
are the problems that you're currently seeing or what are you worried will
happen if a major compaction is allowed to occur?  Right now, there are
only an extremely small subset of cases where you must explicitly disable
compactions.  These use cases I know of are very complicated and require
building StoreFile analysis tools underneath HBase, that I'm pretty sure
you're not needing this.

Please also read my follow up commentary to explaining major compaction
logic:
http://search-hadoop.com/m/JR9sK1xnbj21
http://search-hadoop.com/m/X7W7q1xnbj21
The vast majority of users need features completely unrelated to
compactions.  The compaction algorithm is an easy target to worry about.