HDFS >> mail # user >> Running a server on HDFS

+
shanice msuya 2011-07-11, 13:37
+
Robert Evans 2011-07-11, 14:47
+
shanice msuya 2011-07-12, 11:44
Re: Running a server on HDFS
HDFS is not a normal file system.  Instead highly optimized for running
map-reduce.  As such, it uses replicated storage but imposes a write-once
model on files.

This probably makes it unsuitable as a primary storage for VM's.

What you need is either a conventional networked storage device or if
Hadoop-like capabilities are important then something like MapR which allows
complete NFS access to the file system while still being compatible with
Hadoop for running map-reduce programs.