Accumulo >> mail # dev >> GSOC Idea - Accumulo Control Panel

Re: GSOC Idea - Accumulo Control Panel
Thanks, Billie.  I'm liking this task more and more.  I would love to take
this on for GSoC.  Please run it by the Ambari PMC.  I will start drafting
the proposal this weekend.

Just to be clear, the goal would be to integrate Ambari with Accumulo in
order to achieve the following capabilities (I've expanded David's original
list of features):

1. Control (start/stop) Accumulo processes on any cluster node
2. Have the ability to edit Accumulo configuration files via a web-based
editor (I don't think Ambari provides this.  Please let me know if I'm
wrong)
3. Have the ability to schedule restart of Accumulo processes after a
configuration change
4. Push Accumulo code and configuration files to a new cluster node
5.  Gracefully remove a node from a cluster
6.  Gather system and/or application metrics that can be used to monitor
the system and perhaps create reports on usability
7.  Be able to monitor and control the Accumulo cluster from a web-based
GUI  (this kind of goes with #2 above)
8.  Allow read-only monitor sessions, as well as full-admin sessions and
have the ability to strictly manage who can access either.  (this I got
from ACCUMULO-196)
9.  Provide the ability to authenticate user sessions with SSL
(see ACCUMULO-196)

It seems like the product of this work would largely replace the current
Accumulo Monitor.  If that is the case, are there features of the monitor
which you would like to see integrated?

I will have about 3 months to complete this work (actually about 220-240
hours), so that list is doable.  Most of the work will involve the GUI
portions, unless Ambari already comes with much of the functionality.  If
the list is too short, please let me know.

I guess I should sign up to the Ambari mailing list as well, right?

Thanks again and I look forward to being your mentee and to working with
the Accumulo community.

Andres