HBase, mail # dev - Describing your patches, writing release notes

Re: Describing your patches, writing release notes
Nicolas Spiegelberg 2012-03-27, 00:19
In addition to release notes on configuration items, we should also
include the level of stability for the feature.  For example, although
we're feature complete on HBASE-4218, we're currently only using it for
in-memory compression so it can have some simmering time to find weird
bugs.  I think I would be hesitant about how much help I give on
HBASE-4218, because right now it would be good to limit usage to people
who can read the diff and understand it to debug.  'compaction.ratio' on
the other hand is a pretty safe config to change and I would actually
encourage the common user to play around with it.  Does
'hbase.online.schema.update.enable' even need to be documented?  It's only
false for right now while people are beta testing it.  Soon, it should be
set to true and people should not have to know that it exists.

Basically, right now, all config options are created equal in
documentation.  We need a way to distinguish between configs that we
actively want people to tweak, configs that are 'welcome to the bleeding
edge. Good luck', and configs that are 'we don't know how useful this is.
Just being proactive'.

Also note that, just because a feature is new to 0.94, that doesn't infer
maturity.  A small feature matures extremely quickly.  A large feature
that was committed right after the 0.92 cut and heavily used may be more
mature than a 0.92 feature that is lightly used.