HBase >> mail # dev >> DISCUSS: Have hbase require at least hadoop 1.0.0 in hbase 0.96.0?

Re: DISCUSS: Have hbase require at least hadoop 1.0.0 in hbase 0.96.0?
> Andy - could you please start a discussion?
>
> We could, at the very least, mark UGI as LimitedPrivate for HBase and work with you guys to maintain compatibility for the future. Makes sense?

That would probably help for internal usage of UGI in the secure RPC
engine.  As Andy points out, we do already encapsulate UGI in our own
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.User class (which uses reflection to
account for the API incompatibilities) outside of the RPC engine.  We
do also make direct use of some other Hadoop security classes to
implement secure RPC:

org.apache.hadoop.security.authorize.PolicyProvider
org.apache.hadoop.security.authorize.Service
org.apache.hadoop.security.authorize.ServiceAuthorizationManager
org.apache.hadoop.security.SaslInputStream
org.apache.hadoop.security.SaslOutputStream
org.apache.hadoop.security.token.SecretManager
org.apache.hadoop.security.token.Token
org.apache.hadoop.security.token.TokenIdentifier

If we require Hadoop 1.0.0 then these others should at least be
available, though I don't know the API stability of each.  If we
don't, then the best way towards a single build for release seems
continuing towards modularization so that the security classes can be
built in a separate jar and included in the classpath when enabled.
Handling all of these interactions through reflection does not seem
desirable (or sane) to me.

--gh