Hadoop >> mail # general >> Hadoop build machine donations?

Re: Hadoop build machine donations?
Milind.

>From about 30 boxes Y! gave to ASF at least (I believe there were more, but at
least that much) 10 of them were used _exclusively_ as Hadoop build/test
machines (e.g. Hudson slaves) and a number of others (about 5 at least) were
used for Hadoop deployment testing _exclusively_. So, I think the claim above
doesn't reflect the real situation with hardware donation or perhaps is
missing some of the details ;).

With that in mind I came across this article goo.gl/EVp5S and now I have a
bright idea! Shall the hardware donation be proportional to the proclaimed
market share (or installation base) of a particular commercial distribution's
vendor?  That'd be only fair I guess... Apache Hadoop is about 65% of the
installation and Y! brought in 30 machines. If a vendor A or C has say 30%
then may be they feel good by donating something like 15 boxes to the cause?

--
  Take care,
  Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and do
  not necessarily represent the views of any company the author might be
  affiliated with at the moment of writing.